Monday, November 29, 2010

Singledom grows

One of my favorite pastors, Mark Driscoll, brought my attention to this article when he tweeted it.The article is titled, “Nearly 40% say marriage is becoming obsolete.” You can read it in its entirety here. Basically, the article talks about how Americans view of marriage is declining. It doesn’t hold the same place in our lives. Some of the statistics that stood out to me was that the percentage of married adults has declined from 72% in 1960 to 57% in 2000 and now 54% in 2010. And the median age for getting married for the first time is at an all time high, 28.2 for men and 26.1 for women.

I can’t say I’m surprised by this article. In fact I see it all the time, even around Christian women, who continue to push of the idea of marriage for the need to achieve a career or some other goal. I don’t seem to see a big desire among men either. In their case, I think they just don’t see that calling. Marriage just becomes one more thing on a bucket list, but not a priority.This view of marriage by both parties only causes a further spiral down. And this makes it harder for guys like me as fewer and fewer women are looking to get married. And this in turn causes even more damage to the next generation of men with a desire for marriage. Pastors need to preach to the men their call by God to marriage and family. It’s one of the first callings from God. Men, we need to preach this to each other. I hope we can turn around this view for our futures.

No comments:

Post a Comment